Great to see England come back from a (wonder goal) behind to beat Uruguay Wednesday night. Still all coming together nicely for the World Cup of course. There was a documentary on about the manager’s approach to getting the best out of his players recently. I made some notes as I watched.
England Football Manager Sven Goran-Eriksson uses these 9 pointers to get the best from people he manages. If you’re a sales manager, can any of them help with your team?
- Winners hate to lose, but are not afraid of losing
- Fear of failure leads to anxiety. And being anxious makes you think about doing something that is best done naturally
- Dare to lose to win
- Encourage pushing yourself and to taking risks. Never, ever, criticise someone for making a mistake when taking a risk.
- Get a “shared mental model” – when everyone is thinking along the same lines – throughout the team
- Relax – do not look flustered
- Identify your “cultural architects” – these are the guys that can change the mental states of others and transfer their confidence to others too
- Practice in the mind – visualising doing it makes you so much more prepared when actually confronted with doing it live
- Get in “the zone”, a place where you are succeeding and do not have to think about what you are doing